Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Razor blades and Cellular Networks

Always learning, this lesson seems to come up more frequently these days. Specifically the lesson that you get what you pay for, and sometimes it's best to pay higher prices. Two examples:
1) I have bought the generic razor blades for as long as I can remember, but they are increasingly hard to find, and when I do find them, the quality is terrible. In recent months, I have been able to shave once with a new generic razor blade, and even then, it is dull to start with, which makes for a painful shave, then throw it away. I splurged and bought 10 razors for ($18) the other day, and figured out why (apparently) so few people buy the generic. I have used the same blade 4-5 shaves and it's still sharper than the generic one was out of the box.
2) I upgraded to a Verizon iPhone a week and a half ago when they became available. We had been on T-Mobile since 2005 because it was significantly cheaper. The service was poor though, and at my rural home, I had no service with T-Mobile. My plan with Verizon cost about double what I was paying with T-mobile, but I can talk! Fewer dropped calls, and I'm happy to pay for it; especially since I have been working outside on the farm with cattle the past few months, and need to have cell service there.

No comments: